Construction Update (March 2023)
- A temporary closure of 65th/Shellmound crossing is expected for a 7-day period on April 5th, 2023. All Union Pacific track work and corresponding roadway work will occur at this time to allow for the re-opening of the crossing. Vehicles and Bicyclists will be detoured to 66th and 67th Streets. Pedestrians will be detoured to the Amtrak Pedestrian Bridge. The City of Emeryville strongly encourages residents to plan ahead prior to leaving to their destination on this north end of the City.
- Beyond the 7-day closure there will be minor traffic control/delays as various phases of construction occur to complete all sidewalk, traffic signal, and RR gate arm work that is necessary at the 65th and 67th Street crossings.
- City Council approved a request for a waiver to the City's noise ordinance on 2/21/23. The approval allows for work to occur outside of normal working hours between March - December 2023 as the 7-day closure occurs.
- A permanent closure of 66th Street at the railroad crossing just east of Shellmound Street is scheduled tentatively for April/May 2023.
- New Traffic Signals at 67th/Shellmound and 67th/Hollis are expected to be installed and active in Spring/Summer 2023.
The Project began construction in June 2022 and was expected to complete in 6-9 months. An additional 6 months has been added to the project timeline due to delays with Union Pacific's scope of work that needs to be installed concurrent with City's scope of work. The City expects to be complete with construction in Summer 2023.
Establishment of the “Quiet Zone” is expected to occur in late 2023 - early 2024.