Wind and solar power will be the default electricity choice for Emeryville businesses and residents starting in October. Learn about your electricity service options, including at free webinars on Aug 23 and 31 and Sept 13 and 14.
This shift toward entirely renewable sources as Emeryville business and residents’ electricity plans will entail additional costs to customers of $0.0075 (3/4 of a cent) per kilowatt-hour above PG&E rates. This amounts to roughly $3 - $4/month per average household or 2.3 percent higher than PG&E rates for a small commercial or industrial customer. To accept this change and reduce your carbon footprint, no action is required. For your other options, please visit the EBCE website or see below.
All City buildings and streetlights have already transitioned to this California-based wind and solar power through East Bay Community Energy, the non-profit local energy provider for Emeryville. In March 2022, the Emeryville City Council voted to set the default electricity option for Emeryville residents and businesses to EBCE’s Renewable 100 service, and Emeryville residents and businesses will begin receiving this 100% renewable energy in October 2022.
This transition is being mirrored across Alameda County, including the cities of Albany, Dublin, Berkeley, Hayward, San Leandro, and Pleasanton. EBCE recently sent notices to all affected customers about the change in the default service, which is called Renewable 100.
Learn more about your choices below, via the EBCE website, or at an informational webinar on August 23, August 31, September 13, or September 14. Existing CARE, FERA, and Medical Baseline customers will not be affected.
CHOICES WITH YOUR ELECTRICITY SERVICE
Power your business or home with whichever option works best for you.
- Take no action and you'll be transitioned to Renewable 100.
- To opt into Bright Choice rates or out of EBCE service, you may do so at any time by contacting EBCE as shown below. Changes made after September 22 may not be completed before launch.
Your electric service choices through East Bay Community Energy are:
- Renewable 100 service, which is 100% California wind and solar renewable energy, costs ¾ of a cent more per kilowatt-hour than PG&E’s standard generation rate.
- Bright Choice service costs 3% less than PG&E’s standard generation rate for electricity that is 50% from renewable sources.
Online: Visit ebce.org/emeryville and click on "Remain on Bright Choice"
Phone: (833) 699-3223, 9:00 am – 5:00 pm on weekdays
LEARN MORE ABOUT THE CHANGES AT UPCOMING WEBINARS
To learn more and ask questions about the service changes, join one of the following online webinars hosted by East Bay Community Energy (EBCE):
- August 23, 12:00 pm – 1:00 pm: Register
- September 13, 9:00 am – 10:00 am: Register
EBCE, our local community choice green energy supplier, has been serving Emeryville customers with Bright Choice since 2018. They provide electricity to the grid that PG&E delivers. PG&E also delivers gas, maintains the power lines, responds to outages, and provides the billing services.