The Bus Shelter art installations brighten the mundane with original works from Emeryville artists celebrating flora and fauna. The program started in October 2009 and is currently in its 5th iteration. Every four months a new artist has the opportunity to install four original works in four bus shelters. Artists have been chosen through a juried process and employ an amazing range of media, including pen and ink, digital collage, drawings, mixed media sculpture, oil on canvas, painting and collage, scanned plant material, acrylic and oil on panel, and neon sculpture. Selected artists are provided half sized copies of the four works and $1,000 per original image ($4,000).
How do I submit work to the Bus Shelter program?
Future calls are expected biannually as the program is ongoing, each even year – the last call is here. The next call is expected in Spring of 2023. Look out for other initiatives such as our Mural Program on our City Initiatives for Local Artists page.
Where can I see the Bus Shelter public art?
The Bus Shelter Public Art Program expands the reach of the City’s Art in Public Places Program to four bus shelters. The shelters included in the program are located:
- Hollis Street and 63rd Street (Southwest corner on Hollis south of 63rd Street)
- 40th Street and Emery Street (Northwest corner 40th west of Emery Street)
- Powell Street and Commodore Street (Southwest side of T intersection on Powell)
- Shellmound Street and Bay Street Garage (Southwest side of T intersection on Shellmound Street)
The City is currently contracting for displaying eight artists living or working in Emeryville for four months each between January 1, 2021 and August 31, 2023.
- Archana Horsting, January – April 2021
- Lenore McDonald, May – August 2021
- Kuzuko Watanabe, September – December 2021
- Joey Rose, January – April 2022
- Jessalyn Aaland, May – August 2021
- Nora Pauwels, September – December 2022
- Michael Murphy, January – April 2023
- Courtney Sennish, May – August 2023
Prior Installation - Artist Information
Phase VI January 2019 and December 2020 and included the following artists:
Prior Installation – Artist Information
Phase IV ran from January 2017 to December 2018 and included the following artists:
Phase III ran from January 2015 to December 2016 and included the following artists:
Phase II ran from November 2012 to October 2014 and included the following artists:
Phase I ran from October 2009 to October 2012 and included the following artists:
You can see a full slideshow of all prior Bus Shelter Art here.