Encroachment Permits

Requests to Work on City Property
The City of Emeryville owns or holds an interest in various properties throughout the community, which include roads, sidewalks, and easements granted for utility lines, public access, and open space.

Types of Requests
The City frequently receives requests from home owners, businesses, and public utilities to install improvements on city rights of way and easements. Requests for encroachments range from long-term improvements, such as fences, driveways, and utility lines, to short-term encroachments, such as the storage of dumpsters or building materials. Short-term encroachments are often proposed as part of the construction phase of new development. It should be noted that when the city does grant an Encroachment Permit, it does not give up its interest in the property.

Denial of Requests
The city will generally approve a request for an Encroachment Permit unless the encroachment would present a public health or safety hazard, or the proposal would be inconsistent with the city's planned use for the area. The city may also deny the request if the proposal would be visually incompatible with the surrounding area.

Encroachment Permit Application Process
Fill out the Encroachment Permit Form and review the General Provisions. Submit these to Valorie Maxwell along with payment. If you have questions regarding your project, please contact Public Works Director / City Engineer, Maurice Kaufman at 510-596-4334.